Sunday, February 12, 2012

Whitney

What a difference a day makes.  Yesterday I had planned on writing about how I finally got the new iPhone 4s and how it caused me not to write about anything because I've been playing on it constantly since Friday.  Alas, here I am listening to Whitney Houston wondering what should I say.

We has such an old fascination with celebrities, we love them and adore them but more than that we love to hate them and tear them down.  Surrounding all the facebook and tweets yesterday of people saying Whitney died were people making jokes, madly asking why are we surprised and stuff about being a drug addict.  Weird how this always happens.  We saw it with Michael, Steve Jobs, now Whitney.  Never get how people attack others for talking about events like this.  No matter how you feel about that person, to others it may be a big deal and if they feel the need to speak about it and what better place than social media?  I am sure tomorrow we will all go back to posting about what we eat and what the kids just did.

Whitney had her issues but now that she has left us shouldn't we praise her achievements and not her failures?  The truth is she was an amazing singer and could be the best pure singer to ever get behind a microphone. 

Who doesn't remember her Star Spangled Banner?  We all now compare everyone to her and nobody hardly ever comes close.  That was the best the Star Spangled Banner has ever sounded, and I'm sure many of us remember her singing it before the Super Bowl in that American jacket and ribbon in her head.  Hey!  Who remembers who played in that Super Bowl? 


Greatest Love of All was one of my favorite songs as a kid and remember singing it often.   If it wasn't for Whitney Houston I wouldn't know that one of my Grandmother's favorite songs was I Will Always Love You and used to sing it to my mom all the time.  I don't have many memories of my Grandmother but I now tear up every time I hear that song because of that little fact.

She brought so much joy to people's lives and her music will live on not the unfortunate turn her life took. 

Plus you always have to admire someone who went out there and achieved her dreams and became the best at it.  How many of us can say that?  As a person still searching for that dream I know I can't.

If nothing else you should at least be reminded of how short this life is and you have to make the best of it.  Go out there and enjoy your time with friends and family.  Sing your favorite songs loudly and proudly.  Praise people instead of bash them and enjoy them for the short time that we have them.

2 comments:

  1. I am glad this wasn't about Whitney the show. That thing is an abomination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true, haven't made it past 5 minutes into that show.

    ReplyDelete